• Keeping your pets safe during the holidays

    pets-962215_640

    The holidays are a great time.  There are so many wonderful things happening; decorating the tree, traveling to visit family, opening presents and enjoying wonderful meals.  During this time, we want our pets to enjoy the holidays too.  But to make sure that our pets have a safe and happy holiday, it’s important to remember a few important tips.

    The Tree

    If you have a pet that likes to climb the Christmas tree, place the tree away from furniture that gives your pet easier access to higher limbs.  Then place tin foil around the bottom of the tree to keep your pets from exploring the area.

    Make sure that you hang ornaments and tinsel high enough that your pet can’t reach them on the lower limbs.  Cats especially enjoy chewing tinsel which can cause blocked intestines.  Broken ornaments can cut paws as your pet walks over them.

    Make sure lights are out of your pet’s reach. Hot bulbs can burn pets or your pet can be shocked if she chews through the wires.

    Also, if you have a live tree, be sure to keep the pine needles swept up.  While they aren’t poisonous, they can cause internal injuries if swallowed. Don’t allow your pet to drink the tree water.  Preservatives added to the water can be poisonous, and stagnant water may have bacteria that can make your pet sick.

    Other Concerns

    While pine needles may not be poisonous; poinsettia, holly and mistletoe are. Make sure to keep these plants out of your pet’s reach.

    Lit candles are popular holiday decorations.  Make sure that they are safe from being knocked over by curious pets.

    Make sure that you keep string, wrapping paper, and ribbon out of the reach of your pets as these can cause intestinal blockages if eaten. Scissors can also injure your pets if left on the floor.

    Foods can be hazardous to your pets.

    • Fatty gravies or meats can cause stomach upset
    • Bones can get caught in your pet’s throat or tear their intestines
    • Onions, which are found in many holiday dishes, are toxic to pets
    • Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure
    • Chocolate and coffee can be deadly
    • Alcoholic beverages are not safe for pets
    • Also be aware of pop-up thermometers from turkeys.  These can cause blockages if your pet ingests them.

    Stress

    Holidays are stressful for you, but they are also stressful for your pet.  Keep your pets in a comfortable location away from strangers and crowds. Also, make sure that guests know not to give treats to your pets. It’s also important to be aware that as your guests come and go, your pets have an opportunity to escape.  While they may never try under normal circumstances, stress can cause them to run if given the chance.  Make sure that your pets are safely secured as guests come and go.

    And finally – keep our number handy 662-342-6100.  And after hours, call PetMed 901-624-9004

     

Comments are closed.